I often get docx documents from my friends and each time i had to find a PC with office 2007 to convert it to doc file. it was frustrating. so here is the solution i found in ubuntu forum to open docx file in ubuntu.
1. First install alien either using synaptic or apt-get.*
2. Download the file odf-converter-1.0.0-5.i586.rpm from here. Save it to your home folder.
3. then execute this command in terminal
alien -ct odf-converter-1.0.0-5.i586.rpm
4. Now extract generated file odf-converter-1.0.0.tgz. Go to the extracted directory using terminal.
5. Copy three files into your OpenOffice.org directories — note that the usr that you’re copying from is a directory that was inside the tgz file.
sudo cp usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/OdfConverter
sudo cp /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice
sudo cp usr/lib/ooo-2.0/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice
Now you can open docx file….
*alien is the tool to convert RPM packages to DEB packages.
Powered by ScribeFire.