Last week, I had an interesting meeting with Panjabi Wikimedian community and CIS-A2K team.
Panjabi wikimedia community is small in count. But each of them are contributing with their best. Many of them doing 100-days-of-wiki, personal wiki edithathon for 100 days. Few of them do in in multiple sites and many times a year.
Their interest on contribution and passion on their language is awesome.
Interacted on wikisource, wiktionary and wikipedia. Shared many ideas to improve their workflow. They are looking for many tools to automate their tasks. Those tools will be useful for all wiki communities.
Then, had some great discussions with CIS-A2K team. We spoke about many interesting project ideas.
Listing them all the ideas here.
1. List down the Top 10 tricks/hacks/must know on any wikisource project
2. Make simple tutorials on how to start contributing to wiki, in all possible languages. Still we dont have an ebook or easy starter guide in Tamil. There may be video tutorials. curate them and show them in better way to find them easily.
3. Telegram bot to proofread wikisource contents. Get a page from wikisource. split it into lines, then words. Show a word and OCRed content in a telegrambot. User should verify or type the correct spelling in telegram itself. Submit the changes to wikisource. Thus, we can make the collaborated proofreading easily.
4. Explore how to use flickr for helping photographers to donate their photos for commons. Flickr is easy for them to upload and showcase. From there, we should move the photos to commons. Few tools are already available. Explore them and train them for photographers.
5. We should celebrate the volunteers who contribute to wiki. By events, news announcements, interviews etc. CIS may explore this.
6. Web application for OCR4WikiSource
7. Make a web application to record audio and upload to commons and add in wiktionary words. explore Lingua-Libre for web app.
8. Make a mobile application to record audio and upload to commons and add in wiktionary words.
9. CIS may ask the language based organizations to give their works/tools on public licenses.
10. A one/two day meeting/conference to connect various language technologies. Each team can demonstrate the tools they are working on. others can learn and use them for their languages. CIS may organize this soon.
11. Building spell checkers for Tamil. Learn how other other languages are doing. Odia seems to have good spell checker. Explore that.
12. For iOS, there is no commons app to upload photos. It was there sometime ago. Fix the iOS commons app and rerelease it again.
13. Build Maps with local languages with OSM.
14. One/Two day training on wiki tech. like gadgets, tools, toolserver, API, etc
15. Tweet marketing to promote the ebooks released in wikisource projects. Measure the downloads.
16. CIS may talk with amazon to release the ebooks from wikisource for free always at amazon.
17. Explore Valmigi project of malayalam, chikubuku of kannada – for their ebooks.
18. Download ebooks from dspace, bengali books – West Bengal Public Library Network – url – http://dspace.wbpublibnet.gov.in:8080/jspui/
19. Explore paid works for wikisource proofreading.
20. Blog on how ta wikisource for 2000 ebooks from TN government in public domain license. Send to CIS. They may try to do the same for other languages.
21. ASI website has info about all monuments. Scrap them all and add in wiki.
22. Scrap details from tourism sites and add in wiki.
23. Kannada archeology site has tons of images but with 3 seals added in all images. scrap them, remove seal and add to commons.
24. Tool to audit wiki sites. like new users, edits, measurements, KPIs, reports etc.
25. Discuss with wiki writers and help them to automate their tasks. Build new tools to help them. train existing tools.
26. Get existing photos from many photographers. Get license doc. Add in OTRS. Have a team to upload the photos to commons.
27. Find the pages that don’t have images. Search in commons and add 1 image automatically.
28. Infobox in wiki pages may have 1 image. Check for the same page in other languages.. get the image from infobox and use it in missing pages.
29. Tito showed a broken JS script. Explore it and fix it.
30. Discuss with victor and google team to improve the OCR feature and integrating with wikisource. Explore existing tools like http://tools.wmflabs.org/ws-google-ocr/ and https://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Google_OCR
Thanks to Ravi, Tito, Tanveer, Dan, Charan Singh, Manavpreet, Rupika,Gurlaal, Stain for the interesting meeting and great ideas.
We can work on these ideas and implement them soon.
If you are interested in doing any of the ideas, reply here or mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org